In December 2016, Interglobal Industrieholding GmbH, owned by Reinhard Ernst, sold its majority interest in Harmonic Drive AG to Harmonic Drive Systems Inc., Tokyo. With effect from March 22, 2017 the sale of the shares has been completed.
Harmonic Drive Systems Inc., listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange, now holds 74.7 % of the shares and is therefore majority shareholder. The remaining 25.3 % shares are held by the state-owned company Innovation Network Corporation of Japan (INCJ).
For over 45 years, Harmonic Drive AG has led the market in high precision gear
technology. Originally a transmission manufacturer, the company soon established itself worldwide as a premier provider of motors, actuators and systems. With ground breaking mechatronic products, Harmonic Drive AG creates tailor-made solutions for its customers and offers an added value for the realisation of demanding drive solutions.
Since the founding of the company in 1970, and with the cooperation of Harmonic Drive Systems Inc., Ernst has successfully guided the Harmonic Drive AG into its position in the European market as technology leader for high precision drive technologies.
Today, the company employs almost 400 people at various global locations with a turnover of almost 100 million euros in 2016.
Harmonic Drive Systems Inc. also holds a majority interest in Harmonic Drive LLC, Boston, in addition to its newly acquired shares of Harmonic Drive AG. This acquisition now completes the foundation for the global and uniform marketing of the Harmonic Drive® Brand.
The many years of successful cooperation with the Japanese buyer supplies a sound basis to Ernst for the continued success of his life's work.